John is an experienced facilitator of executive development programs and has delivered training programs to thousands of professionals in APAC, across a variety of business and government sectors.
Areas of Expertise
- Leadership Coaching skills
- Crucial conversations
- Mentoring skills
- Executive mindfulness
- High performance team facilitation
- Emotional intelligence
John began coaching in 1995 and has accumulated over 11,000 hours coaching senior executives from some of the world's most prominent organisations. He is an experienced facilitator of executive development programs and has delivered training programs to thousands of professionals in the Asia Pacific Region across a variety of business and government sectors. Having facilitated workshops at CEO level, John also enjoys the diversity of working with emerging talent and the practical realities facing middle managers.
Business Background and Experience
John's business background started at a young age working in the family owned Deli in NYC where he learned the value of customer service, motivating employees and developing relationship with vendors. He managed the Western United States training 50 sales representatives for a division of Simon & Schuster Publishers and was part of the leadership transition team during the acquisition by Gulf & Western giving him firsthand experience dealing with cultural change. As the original co-founder of the IECL, John has attracted the right resources and talent enabling it to become a trusted brand and major player in the coaching and leadership industry in Australasia.
John uses an integral approach based on the research of evidence based psychology, leadership theory, neuroplasticity and adult education models. He also works with the counterpart's world view including their values, beliefs, and culture to help them leverage the positive aspects and uncover those aspects that may be limiting future potential. John's integration of western performance models with eastern philosophy gives him the ability to interface across cultures. His style has been described as being both tough and tender, mixing fierce compassion with respect for the individual.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC), International Coach Federation
- Accredited Organisational Coach, Level Three, IECL
- Facilitator of IECL Accredited Coach Training
- Education: MA (Adult Education); BA (Religious Studies); Transformational Facilitation Skills (McKinsey & Company)
- Diagnostics: LSI, TLC, Hogan, MLQ, MBTI, DiSC, Belbin Team Tools, Genos (EI)
Recent Client Engagements
- CEO and Leadership Team, Global Hotel Chain" coached CEO and team for communicating cultural differences to improve performance.
- Directors, Finance " coached and facilitated over a seven year period working with Directors (all PhDs) on how to manage their people more effectively and help them grow on self-awareness using LSI and MBTI diagnostics (approximately 50 directors).
- Senior Executives, Major Australian Bank " team facilitation to deal with new business challenges, inter- and intra-group communication skills, restructure issues and change in leadership.
- Senior executives, Australia " coach numerous executives of Asian background to adjust and adapt to the Australian culture. Eg. female partner from Singapore working for a big 4 professional services firm needing to engage fellow partners and direct reports more effectively.
- National Government-owned Organisation " Trained Senior Managers in coaching skills within Leadership Development Program, and Sales Managers to embed sales training
- CEO's direct report, Metals and Mining - how to manage up more effectively and on his career choices
- Women in leadership roles eg. Senior Executive woman coached around recent Board appointment at a top tier law firm - Breaking through the "old boy's club" involved rehearsing various verbal interchanges and increasing her awareness of the political dynamics involved. How to increase her influence in a way that was congruent with her values enabled her to be "one with them without having to become one of them".